Sunday, January 29, 2012

On average how many miles does a well taken care of BMW last for?

I'm looking to buy one and all the ones i am seeing have over a hundred thousand miles on them but i am wondering if BMW's are like nissans and last till 220,xxx miles? And im wondering about an average well taken care of BMW not one that has been pounded into the ground. I am also talking about the versions with the V6 engines from the mid-90's.On average how many miles does a well taken care of BMW last for?The e34 5 series BMWs from the mid-90s had a design life of 300,000 miles. That means the basic car was designed to last 300,000 miles. I recently sold my 1990 535i at 250,000 miles at it was still on the original engine, transmission, starter and alternator.



The mid '90s 3 series cars (e36) used some of the same six cylinder engines but the interiors are not as durable. The car will keep running, but the interior is going to start to fall apart. Headliner may come unglued. The seats will start to wear out. The door panels will wear out. You may have problems with the sun visors too.



One of the good things about BMW is the availability of spare parts. You can get inexpensive OE mechanical parts from on-line stores. Factory Interior parts are available through BMW. You can still get factory parts for cars they made in the 1970's. Those can be expensive though. If you are broke, the car will keep running without a door panel or a sun visor.





BTW BMW does not make V6 engines. BMW 6 cylinders are inline 6 or I-6 for short. Older BMW I-6 engines are very durable. The 'big six' M30 engine used in the old 5 and 7 series can run forever.On average how many miles does a well taken care of BMW last for?
This is VERY true I work on them all the time..



Older BMWs from around 1981 to 1982 to before before the change over years 1988-89 for the 5 and 7 series. 1990 and under for the 3 series. (8 has allways been high performance GARBAGE) are the good BMWs. As long as the body has no damage or previous damage is worth repairing everytime it is extermely hard to "pound them into the ground". They are just cars time and milage has little effect on. The newer BMWs to well into the future are just total crap they look good and have loads of toys and have OK power. Some day in the near future if you buy ANY newer bmw I described as junk above you will say or think to yourself "I wish I listened to that guy" The brand new BMWs are great if you can handle the shop time and loaner cars.... Till the warrenty runs out... If BMW kept building the cars like the good years they might very well be out of business today..On average how many miles does a well taken care of BMW last for?I believe it would be some where around 130 to 170.

But I know if you want your car to last you have to keep all of the fluids and all of the other maintenance like your fuel filter, timing belt, air filter, and etc. changed at the correct intervals. The number one reason why people's engines go out is because they don't change thier oil and oil filter. You have to change you oil and filter every 3,000 miles or 3 months. Some of the newer cars are different now, so check your manual. It will tell you all of your scheduled maintenance and that is what you should follow if you want your car to last forever. Also when something messes up, fix it ASAP even if you can still drive it.



P.S. I have a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 350,000 miles!
I have a 1986 BMW 528e with 240,000 miles, a 1988 BMW 735i with 120,000 miles on it, and another 1988 BMW 735i with 275,000 miles on it. all of them run in near perfect condition.On average how many miles does a well taken care of BMW last for?300,00 miles.On average how many miles does a well taken care of BMW last for?
I have had two 3series and a 520 and each has done 150,000 miles before being returned to the lease company



Best cars I have ever driven



Don't buy without service history though



When they go wrong it is expensive as my son has just found out £1500 for a gearbox on his 125000 miles on 3 series but the engine is perfect!!
/ All BMW's that are 'well taken care of' will last years and miles beyond your own lifetime.



That being said, subjectively it isn't uncommon to find a BMW at 300,000 if well taken care of.



My dad owns two 25 year old Mercedes' with each having over 250,000 on the original engines.



I own two BMW's which I take care of - no matter what the cost, and they keep going, too.



I also own a different make 25 year old vehicle in excellent mechanical and physical condition with a little over 34,000 miles.



It is all subjective. If you take car of a BMW, it will last as long as you keep taking care of it.



My 2000 323ci convertible needed a new automatic transmission, and I knew ahead of time that these cars were made with a transmission that wouldn't last forever. At 85,000 miles it went out, and I simply handed it over to the mechanic who replaced it. Two days later, I was able to drive it again with a new transmission. No big deal to me, but for some it is. I don't want to drive a Chevy Cobalt.



It is all subjective. Either, I can't afford it, therefore it is expensive to fix, or I can afford it, therefore it isn't expensive to fix.On average how many miles does a well taken care of BMW last for?
They last forever if well serviced. By the way they're straight 6s not Vs
BMW six cylinder engines are all in line, not Vs.

There are three types, the M30, M40 and M50.



I have an M30 in my E24, I had the head off at 262,000km and the cylinder bore still had the cross hatching on it.



My E28 had 360xxxkms on it and was still going strong.



Different models have there own quirks and it really helps if you're a bit handy because paying Fritz to do maintenece can get expensive.



The mid 90s cars that had 6s were the E34, E36 and E32.
Obviously your looking to save a buck. Theres no free ride. Parts for BMWs are VERY expensive. Keep that in mind.
BMW doesn't have a V6, only straight 6. My uncle had a 1993 e36, and he finally got rid of his with nearly 280,000 miles on it. Keep in mine, he took excellent care of it, and drove it easily almost every day of its life. For the people saying they are extremely expensive to fix, not always. Example, in one week, my car blew a radiator, and the secondary air pump (common problems with my model, with that many miles). The dealership wanted $1500 to fix those, and a local mechanic wanted $1400. I went on Ebay, found the correct products, and bought them from a reputable seller, both with a 6 month warranty, for under $300! I then had them installed by the local mechanic, and ended up paying under $500 total! Saved almost $1000 doing it myself.

BMW's will last forever, if they are taken care of. Your day to day driving, and overall maintence determine the life of your car, regardless of the badge on the hood. Treat it right, and it will do the same in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment