Wednesday, January 25, 2012

How can I get into the BMW Step program?

I'm thinking about being a servie technician and I was wondering what are all the necessary steps I need to take in order to get into the BMW step program?How can I get into the BMW Step program?I am a STEP graduate (2006) and can share my specific experiences.



I found out about STEP on the internet. The website generally has all of the information you need and so I won't go into the details. I think it also has a list of technical colleges that they prefer graduates from.



I didn't live near any of the listed colleges, so I actually went to a local state funded college and got an Associate's Degree in Automotive Mechanics. When you graduate you must have a high GPA and nearly perfect attendance. I contacted STEP after graduating and they arranged an entrance exam and later an interview with the STEP coordinator.



When I went to STEP, I think everyone in my class of 15 except one (me) graduated from UTI. In fact, the STEP program is actually a UTI program, but is laid out and controlled by BMW, possibly BMW NA.



The program lasted six months and is pretty tough at times, but overall with general technical, electrical, and computer knowledge you will have to study hard but it won't be beyond your capability. There is another, shorter version of STEP that is 10 wks long, but is usually an extended training for technicians already working at dealerships.



When you are a month in STEP they will ask you to sign a commitment to work at a BMW dealership for at least 6 months (or possibly a year I can't remember) and many dealerships as individual companies ask technicians to sign longer contracts than that (mine was 3 yrs but came with a signing bonus). After graduating the six month program, you will need only 3 years of work experience and to be up to date in all your training after that time (new classes every year, e.g. diesel) to be a BMW Master Technician. Ordinarily it would take five years, STEP counts for two years and gets a LOT of classes out of the way right from the get-go.



I interviewed at three dealers w/i four hours of my original residence and found one that was just the right size for me (~10 techs) and is a very nice shop overall (climate controlled, floor-integrated lifts, only 5 yrs old) with a staff that is somewhat diverse and very friendly.



If you do go, you will probably be amazed what information you learn in six months (tens or hundreds of abbreviations, model designations, engine designations, BMW technology, etc.), but you will need to have hands-on experience which can only come with time. You will want to have some experience at a full service shop before graduating STEP and working at a dealership. The book smarts are a must for the smooth operation of the job, but the experience is only learned with time and thus is more valuable in comparison.



Keep your driving record clean.



I hope this helps. Check out the BMW STEP website: bmwstep.com. Click around and you'll find all the information you need. If you'd like to email me, use my alternate email address in my profile, I just made this jjjones one up to post and will probably never use it.How can I get into the BMW Step program?check with your local BMW dealer, ask the service manager

No comments:

Post a Comment