Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Best recipes for post-delivery?

What foods do you cook for a semi-vegetarian new mom post-delivery? She's open to taking broiled/roasted meats and fish which are easier to prepare, fresh fruits and vegetables are excellent, but I see no reading on dairy (which seems like it could help a lot) and I'm also reading that no diet helps relieve post-delivery fatigue.



In general I'm trying to plan a menu free of casseroles or similar highly-processed foods.



I used to cook for elderlies in their homes and I cooked mostly Mediterranean-centred diets (e.g. baked fish, olive oil+vinegar, boiled veggies, pimenta for the odd stir fry, etc.) But this woman is Korean, likes her kimchi and her seaweed soup (which I can prepare) though she likes some western dishes.I wonder if traditional comfort foods (kimchi stews, stir-fry dishes with loads of pickled veggie side dishes) is the way to go or high-energy low- or unprocessed foods is better (i.e. western-style roasted chicken and veggies, hearty western stews, etc.)Best recipes for post-delivery?
Hi fiber, low fat foods

things such as lentils and barley

I just gave out my lentil recipe, you seem familiar with the cooking though. A good lentil spinach soup would be nice. Or you can use it as a side dish and not so soupy, and bake some chicken or fish with it.



I don't think dairy is the answer. If you are looking into calcium then broccoli would be my answer.



I also recommend she take more b12 during this post time. It does help alot and is probably depleated because she is a good healthy eater and has just given birth. A muliti and extra b12 will help her alotBest recipes for post-delivery?
traditionally korean people eat a lot of that seaweed soup after delivery. seaweed has a lot of iron in it and it helps produce more blood. make her that with beef in it. she still needs a lot of dha from fish (or supplement) because she'll be breastfeeding. she shouldnt eat anything spicy or sour (mildly is ok) because what she eats affects her breast milk. i heard if u eat spicy stuff like kimchi it'll make your milk spicy and irritate the baby.





Best recipes for post-delivery?
Is she breastfeeding? If that's the case, you want to pack calories into small snacks. After my 2 kids, I was never very hungry for the first few days. I would just forget to eat, and I was mostly thirsty. Maybe some nice juices, and flavoured waters for the first couple days. Some fresh veg with a hummus dip for snacking would be nice too. Or some simple muffins. Focus on easy to eat snacks rather than meals.



Once that past, I was absolutely ravenous, but I craved mostly carbs. Her body will need carbs to produce the lactose in her milk. This is when those meals will come in handy.



Make sure she drinks lots and lots of liquid, because if she gets dehydrated she could very easily get constipated and you don't want to deal with that while you are recovering from childbirth. Don't forget about good fiber too.



As a side note, she doesn't need to drink milk to make milk, if that is what you were referring to about dairy.
  • professor layton
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment