Monday, February 20, 2012

How do I swap a 93 BMW 325i motor with a vanos with a 91 BMW 525i motor?

I have a 93 325i that had a piston go through the block (or so I was told) and so my father in law bought a 91 525i to replace my motor. Will this work, and if so, what all do I need to do?How do I swap a 93 BMW 325i motor with a vanos with a 91 BMW 525i motor?The 2 engines although different have the same mounting parts (p/n 11 00 9 067 420) and the same transmission (A5S310Z) so the replacement engine would physically mount into the space vacated by the old one.

But electronically they are different, with the original engine much more advanced (with a vanos %26amp; DME/engine computer version MS3.3.1), while the replacement is a regular non-vanos with DME version MS3.1).

Now whether the more advanced DME would power up the older engine is something that I doubt, since the module would continually look for the vanos components and their expected interaction with the module. If at all, the DME might run the engine but with a check engine light and at fail safe settings.

Getting the older version DME for the older engine is the next logical step. But the retrofit work involving the wiring harness and syncing between the DME and the anti-theft system (EWS) would have to be done by a professional BMW technician (independent preferably).

No comments:

Post a Comment