Monday, February 20, 2012

How do I use the manual mode on a BMW 4L30E transmission?

I am going to buy a 325i with the 4L30E transmission,this is the automatic with a manual mode, and I don't want to learn how not to use it and end up buying a new one. If anyone can give me a link or if you own one yourself any help would be appreciated.

By the way its 1992 325i.How do I use the manual mode on a BMW 4L30E transmission?I have the same transmission in my '98 Z3. The trans has manual mode, sport mode, and "normal" mode. In manual mode, the transmission stays in whatever gear you have selected on the lever. It does not down shift or up shift. If you have it in 3rd and stop the car, it tries to take off in 3rd. If you up shift it manually, it has the normal delay - it isn't instant. If you try to shift on the engine redline, then you have to shift "early" to allow for the delay and avoid hitting the rev limiter.



I prefer sport mode (selector on "3"). The trans stays in gear longer before up shifting. If you accelerate full throttle (in sport mode), the trans will shift right on the engine redline (at least mine does). Sport mode is also good for small autocross type courses - it seems to select the proper gear most of the time.



I don't use manual mode very much, mainly because of the shifter - which does not have an indicator in the instrument panel, and does not have a stop for each gear, or neutral. If you lose track of which gear you are in, you have to look down at the shifter - and it's easy to up shift 2 gears (or into neutral) if you aren't real careful.How do I use the manual mode on a BMW 4L30E transmission?It is a waste unless it comes with a Porsche or a car that can use it. The others are like mild manual shifting. Don't think that this will drive like a manual when you want.
  • spelling dictionary
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment