Thursday, February 23, 2012

Is it necessary to replace the head bolts when changing a head gasket on an 87 BMW 325is?

I know that most repair sites recommend it, but is it always necessary. I didn't have a problem with the head gasket failing, the timing belt broke and now I need to remove the head to replace some valves that got bent. Also, being that it's an aluminum head, should I have it decked before I put it back on?Is it necessary to replace the head bolts when changing a head gasket on an 87 BMW 325is?I always replace the head bolts on a BMW. You have an Aluminum head and after a thousand miles of heating and cooling, expanding and contracting, the head bolts are stressed. Also consider that the piston slammed some valves up into the head and that also further stressed the bolts.

On BMW's it is a rule for me to always get the heat tested %26amp; head decked (planned). You have an aluminum head bolted to a forged iron block, there is a difference between the way these 2 metals heat up and cool down, which causes allot of problems.



I have changed to many BMW heads to take a chance. I do not like doing things twice, because it makes it twice as expensive.



I have seen other reuse head bolts without an issue. How is your luck?Is it necessary to replace the head bolts when changing a head gasket on an 87 BMW 325is?
I may have a thumbs down or more but I know all to much about torque to yield bolts and that I said below is correct. The chances your engine has torque to yield bolts is high.



depends on what bolts the engine has now. You can look into the oil filler cap and see the head bolts, if they look like they take an allen wrench you're OK, otherwise replace them. A new set is like 45 bucks with shipping and I get new ones all the time just because I hate cleaning them, sometimes the bolts and head hols are so gunned up its hard to get the bolts out. So I just cut them in half.Is it necessary to replace the head bolts when changing a head gasket on an 87 BMW 325is?You should always replace them, cheap insurance. I have had to change plenty of broken reused head bolts. What's worse: Buying a head bolt set? OR Breaking one and getting stuck somewhere plus having to do it all over again.



Word of advise, buy a set of head bolts.
Have the head checked, definatly, and ALWAYS fit new head bolts they stretch, make sure they go back in sequence, if the gasket goes the head doesnt always distort unless the head bolts have been removed out of sequence.Is it necessary to replace the head bolts when changing a head gasket on an 87 BMW 325is?i try to write the answers your problem in my blog http://www.mystructuredsettlement.co.cc you can see any problem in my blog or in my business blog http://www.mysecuredloan.co.ccIs it necessary to replace the head bolts when changing a head gasket on an 87 BMW 325is?
Yes. period. The old bolts have been stressed.New bolts should have came in the kit.Always replace.head bolts.Unless you want to do this half assed.
No, it's not necessary, but torque the bolts down correctly.Is it necessary to replace the head bolts when changing a head gasket on an 87 BMW 325is?
do what they tell you/replace the bolts/bmw never does anything thats not necessary/check head
Yes, the M20 engine design requires it.

No comments:

Post a Comment